Portland Beauty Schools: How To Choose
So you’ve decided to become a cosmetologist. Good for you! It’s an exciting field that combines creativity, customer service, style and income! So how do you choose the right beauty school for you? The experts at Aveda Institute Portland, with Aveda campuses in Portland OR and Vancouver WA, have put together this handy checklist of things to consider when you compare programs.
1. Decide which area(s) interest you most. You might want to focus exclusively on being a hair stylist, or you may want to train in cosmetology, esthiology, nails or all of the above.
2. Make a list of the beauty schools near you and contact them to request more information. Admissions counselors are sure to contact you, as well, so have a list of questions ready.
3. Is the school accredited?
4. What skills and techniques are taught in the program? Are their instructors certified? Ask about their credentials and how long they’ve been teaching for the school.
5. Ask if the cosmetology school has an in-student salon so you get hands-on practice. Find out if you’ll be working on mannequin heads or real models or both.
6. Do they provide business training like personal finance, interview skills and resume building?
7. Find out the cost of tuition, books and materials. Ask about financial aid such as scholarships, grants, loans and payment plans.
8. Do they offer part-time or full-time schooling? Do they have flexible cosmetology courses class schedules? It’s important to know what your options are and if they fit with your schedule and availability.
9. What is their graduation rate and job placement rate for graduates of their beauty school? Be sure to ask for references from recent graduates and check out their reviews on social media sites.
10. Are there job placement assistance services for students when they graduate and after they graduate?
Take A Tour Of Cosmetology Schools Portland
It’s also important to check out every school’s website. Once you have gathered all of this information, it’s time to request a tour of the cosmetology schools you are considering. Ask to look at student portfolios to get a sense of what you’ll be learning. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Much of your future success depends on the quality of school you choose, and the more information you have, the more informed choice you can make!
Check Out Aveda Institute in Portland and Aveda Institute in Vancouver
Once you’ve done your research, we feel certain you’ll want to tour one (or both!) of the Aveda Institute Portland locations. Visit Aveda Institute Portland and Aveda Institute in Vancouver WA. We’ve been helping aspiring cosmetologists learn and succeed for more than 10 years and would love to help you, too.